Volunteers are the heart and soul of the Friends. Most volunteers are active in the actual business of selling books, whether that’s at a community sale or the book store, through online sales, or other venues. There are a number of positions with flexible hours.
Friends of the Pima County Public Library is currently looking for Board Members. To see the Board Members position description, please click here.
Community Book Sales and Members Sales – Community sales are held Friday through Monday approximately once a month, Members Sales are on a Saturday, once a month. Shifts are generally 3 ½ to 4 hours long.
- Greeters – sit-down job, saying hello, handing out bags and maps, answering the phone, letting customers know any specials.
- Floor volunteers – more active – restocking shelves, helping customers.
- Readers – sit-down job, marking down the price of the books that are being bought so that the cashier line is efficient. Usually work in pairs: one saying the price and bagging the books and the other person marking it down on the tally sheet.
- Cashiers – ringing up the sales and taking payment – cash, check, or credit/debit card. Comfortable with handling cash.
- Exit – sit-down job, handing out bookmarks, making sure that people have gone through the cashier line and not just walking out with the books.
Warehouse - Most of the volunteers who work in the warehouse work 8:30am – 12:30pm one or two days a week. The warehouse is open for donations 9am – noon, Monday – Saturday.
- Rough Sort – opening up boxes for first look at books, sorting into fiction and non-fiction, taking in donations from the public, distributing books to correct area.
- Scanner – sit-down job, using computer to sort books to determine which books go online or to pricing table, taking books to pricing tables and online department.
- Paperbacks – sorting and packing.
- Children’s books – sorting and packing.
- Pricer – sit-down job, pricing books for book sale according to guidelines, determining if books should be recycled, taking books to fine sort.
- Fine Sort – putting books into correct categories and boxing them up.
- Audio/Video – pricing, sorting, and packing.
- Warehouse support – maintenance of boxes, space. Taking out recycling.
- Book Store support – cleaning, pricing, and sorting (sit-down job)
- Donations pick-up
- Book Repair (sit-down job)
- First Editions research
- Auction House liaison
- Off-site sales prep
- AZ Collection liaison
- Grant Collection assistance
- Community Advocate
- Educator Sales
- Foreign Language
- Sheet music
- Annual Meeting
- Volunteer Appreciation
- Human Resources
Online – The Friends sell books through major online markets such as Amazon.com and ABEbooks.com. Online volunteers work in the warehouse and should be comfortable with computers and the internet (sit-down job). Other online positions are:
Fulfillment – pulling the books that have sold, packing them up, and printing out postage.
Customer service – responding to email and phone questions, handling refunds and disputes, monitoring marketplace rankings.
In seventeen branches we have carts that are stocked with books that customers can buy on the honor system. Cart volunteers select the books for the carts, stock the cart, collect sales money, and deposit money at the warehouse. If you frequent a particular branch, this may be a good job for you.
Book Store volunteers stock the shelves, help customers, and ring up sales. Volunteers should enjoy working with the public and be comfortable with handling cash. The store is located downtown and free parking is available.
Book Barn Set-up Crew
Volunteers “adopt” a section of the sale floor and make sure that the section is ready for the book sales. This includes pulling off books to send off as remainders/recycling and putting new books on the shelves. The crew works as a team to make sure that the entire building is ready for the sales.
Working with the Friends is a rewarding experience – we hope you will consider us.
- Online Volunteer Application
- Volunteer and Membership Application in MS Word format
- Volunteer and Membership Application in Adobe PDF format
You don’t have to be a member of the Friends to volunteer, but we hope you will. Together we do remarkable things to support the public library.
Next training: November 7th from 9am-10:30am